The Goods in Hawaii

Saturday, November 05, 2005

Entirely Too Long

I have been neglecting the blog for quite some time. I apologize for not updating more frequently especially with so many things happening. It has been two weeks since I last updated.

Daniel is home safe. He got back from California on Tuesday the 25th around 10:30. The next few days were busy for him because he was in one of the first groups sent back here. He was driving back and forth from the airport making sure all the other men got back and organized. I did not see much of him in those first few days home. Fortunately, on Wednesday evening Lauren, Kris, Daniel and I were able to go out to eat at a local restaurant. I was very happy to finally have him home and to spend time the four of us not just L&K and I.

We didn't get a picture of all four of us in front of the restau but here is one of L and I posing being silly.

For all the details of L&K's visit, check out Lauren's blog. She did a very thorough job of documenting what we did and it would take entirely too long for me to do the same on here.
http://www.lollygirl.com/blog We had a great time!

They left on Friday the 28th and I wasn't able to see them off at the airport. I was already full swing into my fourth weekend of the show. Daniel was able to take them to the airport and surprise me by showing up backstage to watch the rest of the show. Everyone was happy to see him and meet him if they weren't able to before he left. The director, Mr. B, has been so kind to us. He is very supportive of Daniel in everything he does as a Marine and he just loves talking with him. He told us that Daniel would never have to pay for a ticket. Daniel was getting special treatment, which he deserved, but we didn't want to look like we felt we deserved it at all. Daniel paid for a ticket one night, Saturday, but he still wanted to come to every other performance. I have been keeping an ear open and no one seems to think he shouldn't be getting in for free. No one else has a family member that has come every night so I guess they see that it would really add up if he had to pay every night.

After the matinee on Sunday, the director's wife threw a cast party. It was a great afternoon to just relax after the long weekend and for people to get to know Daniel. After eating and chatting people joined around the piano and just started singing whatever they knew. It was a really relaxed and fun environment. I am so happy to have gotten to know these folks. Good People!

Thankfully, Monday and Tuesday Daniel had off of work. They were excellent days for Daniel to catch up on his sleep. (One night the week before, he came home at 4am.) We did yard work on Monday and then had a fun Halloween evening with guests. Josh, Everett's old USNA roommate was in town for a couple weeks so we had him over for dinner as well as Amanda, a friend of mine. Amanda's husband is out of town for some training so we had her and her daughter come over to have dinner and pass out candy. Rhiannon is the little girl. She is ten months old and so much fun. Amanda has her in a pumpkin suit. Daniel took this picture and unfortunately it didn't show the entire outfit. It was too cute!

Amanda left around 8:30 or so and Josh stayed later. It was really good to spend some time with him. We sat around and chatted, looked at some pictures from the Academy days and basically had a great evening.

Tuesday we went to a promotion ceremony/party. It was a very quick process. The ceremony was on his back porch and while the promotion was read the Marines stood at attention. It only lasted about 5 minutes and the rest of the afternoon was spent telling stories, joking, and just relaxing. It was a good opportunity for me to meet some of the men Daniel works with learn more about Marine life.

Wednesday morning Daniel returned to work. He was busy with a court marshall that he was assigned to. I went to a new Bible Study. My friend Jen mentioned this study and I thought it was a great idea, not only was it an excellent study but I also have the opportunity to meet more Christ-following military wives. The study meets at the base chapel, about 2 minutes from our house, and it is another Beth Moore study. I have been learning so much from my Monday night Beth Moore study, I couldn't say no to another one. As soon as I went in the ladies introduced themselves and made me feel comfortable. I do not usually have a hard time talking with new people but it is nice to feel the warmth from them first. I look forward to several more weeks with these ladies.

Wednesday afternoon I returned to my AWANA duties. I had missed the kids from the week before. I didn't make the week before due to L&K's visit. When I got back I had to catch up on all the kids had done. I am assigned three boys. They are all as different as kids can be. One of the boys is an ace at memorization. He usually does 3 to 5 sections a week, which means memorizing that many verses or more and doing activities as well. He is very disciplined with his books. Part of that probably comes from his family, he is the son of a Marine Captain. One of my other boys is a Hawaiian boy who usually does a section a week. He is quiet, patient and very sweet. I just learned this week that he is still learning to read English. He is 7 but was raised reading Hawaiian. One section a week is great for a new English reader. The last of my assigned boys is so funny. His favorite thing to say is "...excuse me..." and he continues to interrupt me while I am talking to him. He usually forgets which section he has to work on and he flips ahead in his book and works on what looks fun. I write little notes each week to his parents to encourage him to stay on track. He is a kind boy, dedicated but just distracted. He has it in him to do well, he just gets worked up. I enjoy working with each of them. I usually have other kids as well though whenever another leader is not able to make it. I have gotten to know quite a few kids. I am also the new song-leader. Apparently when the old leader found out I sang, she volunteered me for the job. I don't' mind at all. I just had to review all the old songs. I just love working with AWANA.

This is our last weekend of the show and I am happy about it. It has been a great run, but a month is a long time and I am ready for a change. We have some friend's coming to the show tonight so it will be fun to meet up with them afterward. Here is a picture of us for the curtain call. It shows some of the awesome scenery and sets for the show, but it mostly shows the giant cast. (I am wearing the white nurse uniform on the front row.)

Daniel is working on the Acrua today at the DIY auto-shop. He is taking longer than I thought he would and I wish he could come home already. :-(

We go to San Diego next weekend after the Marine Corp Birthday Ball on Thursday night. Daniel has two friends from Japan getting married and we are excited to go out there for the wedding. Daniel has Thursday off work so it will be another short work week for him. I am getting excited about the ball. I finally found a dress I like for a good price. Daniel likes it and that is all that really mattered anyways.

I am going to end this incredibly long entry and I hope it will not be another 2 weeks before I write again. Blessings!

2 Comments:

  • At 11/06/2005 04:23:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It was really nice hanging out with the two of you...oh and your cat of course. I'm sorry I missed your play, but I imagine that it was rivetting. I have to admit it's weird seeing my picture in the land of Blog!!

     
  • At 11/06/2005 03:33:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey babe,
    please call me sometime soon, my cell phone isn't functioning, and I can't hear anything on it, so I can't get a hold of you:( I miss you and haven't talked to you in a while...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home