The Goods in Hawaii

Friday, October 07, 2005

Opening Night

It has been over a week since I last wrote. A lot has happened since then.

Daniel has called several times. The place he is now has good cell phone coverage and he is basically delivering supplies for guys in training so he has a few breaks to give me a quick call. It is nice to be able to chat with him even briefly. It feels more normal. He is healthy, busy, and looking forward to coming home. I like to hear that he is all three of those things because it will make the time pass quickly. I know I am beyond ready for him to come home.


This last week has been filled with rehearsal every night. I usually leave the house at 4:45 to get to the theatre on time for notes, make-up, costume organization and all the other prep stuff. I like to be early so that things aren't rushed come time for the show to start. Any little thing can get me worked up and my butterflies rumbling in my tummy. Of course those happen anyways, but when they happen an hour before curtain is up I have a hard time calming down.

This week has been a beautiful week, We have only had passing storms and I was able to make it to the beach one morning. I walked all of 4 minutes up our street to this...

This is the beach on base. I hung out at the rocky part because I didn't do much swimming. Further up the beach is where most people swim. It was about 9:30 when I took this picture and I just felt like reading in the morning sun. It was an amazingly clear day and just windy enough to cover everything I had in sand. I was glad I walked to the beach because it would have taken me forever to get the sand off of me to get into the car. Daniel started off being very particular about the car getting sandy and now I am just as particular. It is annoying to have a sandy car...Even in Hawaii, but sometimes it can't be helped. It doesn't ruin the beach experience though.

So basically, all the people coming to visit in the next few months have amazing places to go even in walking distance of our home.

This is another beach I visited with my friend last week. It was voted best beach in the world in 2000. It is about 10 minutes from base and a beautiful drive at that. This beach is known for its sea turtles. We saw about 10 in the hour and a half I was there and we weren't even looking that hard. This is the perfect swimming beach. It is in the Kailua Bay so it is a little warmer, very few if any rocks, and of course, turtles.

Baby cat, Meli, is doing well. She is just as playful and sweet as any kitten could be. Very rarely do I have to get after her for jumping on things or trying to bite at the shaking curtains in the breeze. She seems to understand she shouldn't do it. I am glad she is picking up on the rules quickly... Here she is with her latest toy.

I went to the thrift store yesterday with the costume manager for the show and when we walked in I saw this toy. I have a small scratching pad for Meli but this looked like fun. I asked the clerk and she said $2. I was surprised and got it right away. The pet store sells similar toys and scratching post combos for $40. I brought it home and placed it on the floor and Meli played with it for an hour and a half straight. She didn't even come running when I refilled her food bowl. I am happy she likes it so much. It saved a bunch of money and she is getting her kitty exercise.

Oh I forgot...Her name is Meli. Meli means "honey" in Hawaiian. It is Meli pronounced like the word "belly". It seemed to fit her because she is a sweet cat, not too naughty, not too lazy. Perfect for a baby cat. I am glad I finally found a name I liked. I know she will still be called baby cat as well as Meli. She is too cute.

Like the title states, it is opening night tonight. Last night we had an audience of about 150 or so. It was the Community College's way of giving the students a break. They could come see it without charge since most of them weren't going to pay $26. The tickets are ridiculously expensive, but once you see the show you understand the money has gone into costumes, scenery and props.

This is a pic of where I get to park every night for rehearsal. I had to take this the other night as I was getting out of the car. No joke. I was standing right next to the Grand Prix when I took this!The pink and orange of the setting sun behind the Ko'olau mountains was breathtaking. I still can't believe I get to see these things everyday!

The show is great and I am partial, but the things people were saying about it last night were good. There were a lot of theatre students with very critical tastes. There was some negative feedback but mostly positive. It should be a great run.

My friend Amaya is coming tonight with a girlfriend, so it will be nice to think of someone in the crowd I know. I am still meeting so many new people all the time. It is funny; last night I met someone that looked so much like friend of mine in Maryland from my church. It was rather odd. I felt like I wanted to give him a hug , but I knew it wasn't him. Sometimes when I pass someone who looks familiar I have to remind myself that I live in Hawaii now. It is an unusual feeling.

Count down until my sister and brother-in-law's visit: 13 days (Can you believe it Lolly?!)

Everyone have a splendid weekend!

2 Comments:

  • At 10/07/2005 09:37:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maryn,
    Good to hear from you and see your beautiful pictures. The beach scenes are breathtaking. Meli looks like she is having a ball playing with her new toy. Pets are great fun and much company.

    I know you will have a fun time with all the performances. God has blessed you with so much talent. ;-) Daniel is so happy he will get to see you perform, too. We have enjoyed a few phone calls from him, too, since he is in a good cell phone area.

    We are happy you are having some company and family to see you sing. We are looking forward to our visit, too.
    Many hugs,
    Mom G.

     
  • At 10/08/2005 01:58:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lovely pictures! Wonder when the turtle hatching time is? The turtles are so cute, especially the tiny babies.

    Meli is so cute! So it is Meli with the stress on the first syllable, as in Kelly or belly?

    I know that you are having a great time in Hawaii and will cherish these memories for the rest of your life. Make scrapbooks and keep journals so you can relive these memories for the rest of your life! The pictures are so lovely!

    Please let us know about the reviews of the show, my little Nellie-girl! I love you!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home