The Goods in Hawaii

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

South Pacific

Well, I just got in from rehearsal. Things are coming along well. The director is able to give notes now because he isn't having to run around and stop things all the time to correct them. I am getting a lot of notes. I still have a lot of work to do and I need to learn to take the criticism with grace. Tonight he said something about my vibrato, the way the voice shakes when you hold a note, and I got a little sensitive about it. There is one little bit of music that I felt I could do a little more on but he didn't like it. Basically, musicals are not the way I was trained so sometimes I get a little huffy about it. It is just me being stupid. I didn't say anything to him about it, but I drove home with hurt feelings. I need to not take it personally.

Here is a back stage picture I took while I was getting ready to go on stage. As you can see we are still working on sets, we are not in costumes and we have no orchestra...yet. We start with the orchestra on Saturday and the costume on Sunday. So things are happening rather quickly.

I am really enjoying getting to know the cast. It has been great meeting all the new people.



Daniel called again on Monday. We got to talk for a longer time. I was very thankful. He is busy doing the same thing he always does, making sure people get where they need to be and get what they need when they get there; the logistics guy... I know that is putting what he does in a nut shell, but if he tells me more he'd have to kill me....haha yeah right. I am glad his job is not secretive.

I am planning a trip to the Humane Society on Friday with my friend Amaya. We are in search of cats. We have both been talking about doing it for so long. I finally called her up and said lets go this Friday. We have it set up and we are ready. I may have a picture of an adorable cat to put up next time I blog. I hope so. I saw a cat today when I was driving in a neighborhood. I just love them! I get all silly around them and want to purr and chat with them. I like dogs too but my heart goes out to just about any and every cat. I am excited!

More exciting news! I became an AWANA Leader today. Yes indeed, AWANA, Approved Workmen are not Ashamed. One of the best programs in churches for children ever. If you have not heard of it, it is a scout-like program for children in kindergarten and grade school to memorize Bible verses, learn Bible stories and basically learn more about the Bible. Today I helped a little girl memorize the books of the Bible and a little boy memorize1 Peter 5:7. If you are thinking about having children, you already have them or know people with kids, find this program in a church. Looking back on my childhood, this is one of the best things I ever spent time on. It is better than all my music studies combined(even though I highly recommed that for kids too!) You learn so much about the Bible and the best part is, you remember it! The knowledge gained is priceless. Anyways, I will stop ranting about it.

So you can see why I am excited about being a leader. I was able to connect with the kids today. Some of them even looked for me at the end to introduce to their parents. I was delighted. Another beautiful thing about the program is that I still know all the songs we learned. I was singing along with the kids during the learning time. I loved it. Over the years they have not tried to update the songs just because they are old. They are poignant and easy for children to learn. Every Wednesday at 3:15 I will be at Faith Baptist with the kids. I look forward to it.

Well, I am going to go read some before I hit the sack. Thanks for reading this is you did. I kind of went off there for a little while...

Much Love!

4 Comments:

  • At 9/22/2005 02:35:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Don't take the comments so hard, Maryn, my dear. Also remember that you were tired and it's difficult to hear "points of improvement" at that time. I am glad that you did not say anything to the director. It is a differant venue for you since your training at UMCP but the director has done more musicals than you and besides, that's why he is the director.
    Don't let the "diva" syndrome emerge. :-)

    I know that you will be wonderful as Nellie and the part fits you so well. Just remember, the part has not be modernized, thank goodness, and you are a '40's Nellie. Ladies like Nellie, both at home in the States and serving in the Corps, demonstated the unified spirit of this great country at that time. Nellie is not stupid, she is naive and a product of her times and background.

    Sounds like you will have a new family member soon. You will fall in love with all the cats and kittens there. Pace yourself. :-)
    I can hear our girls upstairs right now scampering and playing. They are such fun! Good luck in your search.

     
  • At 9/22/2005 04:31:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for the update. Take the director's advice and grow with it. This will not be the last time someone gives you advice that has a bitter taste. Just swallow and keeps smiling. I've had to do that a number to times. Take care.

     
  • At 9/23/2005 04:20:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maryn,

    So good to hear about your practices. Diane told me she and Justin's cousin, Amy, got tickets to see you when they are there. Hope you get a chance to visit before they have to come back. She is excited that she will get to see you.

    So interested in your comments about Awana. I learned about it when Charles and Marsha went to CA and they boys were in it. Our Baptist church in Warrensburg has it and Stacy and Todd are leaders and their two children and three of Sheila's are going this year. It is really a wonderful program. I wish I could have had something like that when I was growing up.

    Take care and enjoy all of your many activities. We are so glad for your writing and pictures. We will be going to Germany in October and are looking forward to that. Take care and tell Daniel HI.

    Aunt Phyllis

     
  • At 9/24/2005 03:29:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maryn,
    Good to hear your news and see your pictures. You will really love working in the Awana ministry. I was a Cubbies and Sparks leader as Ev & Dan went through it at Grace Church. It is truly a great program.

    You will do fine in your music parts as you find the adjustments that your directors have in mind in each performance. It is always hard to make changes that a person thinks are not what needs to be made.

    We are praying for you and all that you are involved in. Your KV program sounds very helpful and is a real ministry to the Marine families, as well. What a great way to show God's love to folks that may not know Him. God Bless and thanks for the Daniel update, too.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home