The Goods in Hawaii

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Two nights left...

Well, we have a house on base. Daniel and I went in Monday morning to the housing office and denied the first offer given to us on base. There were several reasons why we turned it down and it appears to have been the right thing to do. We were immediately offered another home with more space and a better location. It is a sweet three bedroom home with two baths, a large living area and plenty of storage for all of our things. The best thing about it is, it is ready to move into. Daniel meets with the maintenance man today to go over all the details of the home and we get the keys afterward. We can start moving our stuff in this afternoon. Daniel scheduled the movers to come to our apartment on Friday so we only have two more nights left in this apartment.

I can't believe this is all happening so quickly. I am thankful though because I would have to do it alone if we had to move in a few weeks. I am just in awe of how things move around here with the military.

We are currently trying to find someone to rent the apartment. Our landlady says she has never had a problem renting out the places here. The apartments are so nice and people are always in need of a place to live in this housing market. Daniel went to the Lodge on base last night, where the new families moving to HI stay temporarily, and told several people about the apartment. It was his proactive way of not having to pay the rest of September's rent. We hope to find someone to move in quickly. With military life it is very likely we will find someone who needs a home now.

I am headed out the door to Key Volunteer training. This is my second day of training. Key Volunteers, or KVs, is a program that spouses of military workers volunteer for to be the main communication between the command and the spouses of the military people. Basically, during deployment and other times I call people to let them know the real information about their husbands and families rather than always having to watch the biased news. I also have the opportunity to point women in direction of help with knowledge of all the Corps family programs. I am training to know as much as I can about base so I can be a source of info for other ladies. I know I wish I had met a KV when we first moved here to help with the transition process. I hope to be of help to new wives and families new to the island.

I am excited about this opportunity. It is right up my alley. I love meeting new people!

I will write more about our home transition and I will update when we are in. For now I leave you with the lousy pics I took of the home. I should have tried to get the car out of the pic but I was hot and hungry. I took this before lunch...

Here is Daniel getting ready to measure, or at least looking like he is...











Here is a shot of the backyard. I can't tell you how happy I am to have a yard. I didn't think I would miss it that much but I am looking forward to watering it and maybe even planting a small garden. My parents have such green thumbs I need to live up to that.

I hope to post more pictures later. Love ya'll and have a wonderful Labor Day Weekend!

4 Comments:

  • At 8/31/2005 11:59:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Pictures look great! Sounds like everything is coming together. Try to not over do it.

     
  • At 8/31/2005 01:30:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow, a house already. That is great!!!! You will love to be able to spread out and not be so cramped when you have all your company soon. :-) Praise the Lord for helping you out in this area, also. Have a great weekend and thanks for keeping us posted.
    Love, Mom G.

     
  • At 8/31/2005 02:33:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am so jealous of your house! Someday...

    KV does sound right up your alley. What a fantastic opportunity to meet people share life with them.

    Katrina has two big orchestra auditions on the 12th & 13th. Keep her in your prayers.

     
  • At 10/01/2005 02:56:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sounds like the play is coming along. I am excited I will get to see it while we are there. Amanda and I will be at the Sunday performance. Good luck with everything. Your kitten is sooo cute.

    Diane (Daniel's cousin)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home