The Goods in Hawaii

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

My baby sister is at college...


Sarah had her first day of college classes today. I can't believe she is at school. I know she is a very mature and capable lady and she will flourish in the college environment, but I just can't imagine her at college. She is studying at Campbell University in North Carolina. From what I hear it is a great school and she is already raving about how perfect it is for her. Mom and Dad seem to like it too. I look forward to the day when I can visit her at school and see how she is growing into a wonderful young adult. Life changes so much during college, sister. Take your time and enjoy it!

Here she is looking about 25 years old. Don't take advantage of how old you look, missy! :)

Things are going great here in Kaneohe. Daniel is keeping very busy with work. Almost every day is packed with meetings and all kinds of planning for upcoming excerises. He is leaving in September for an exercise in California and should be back for the last few days of Lauren and Kris' visit here to HI. I know that month and half will be rough, but it is only a short time before he leaves again. Hopefully that time will fly by.

The end of Katy's visit was wonderful. We finished the week with a luau and then Daniel took Katy surfing on Saturday before she flew out that night. Unfortunatly I was in rehearsal most od the day so I missed most of the fun. The waves were rough and I didn't even want to swim in them by the time I met up with KT and Daniel. They were giving it their all... I think they had fun too, and we wore Katy out on her last day here. She did get some sleep on the plane though.

That can be our promise to everyone if they visit. We will wear you out and you will sleep well on the plane ride home... :)

I just got back from rehearsal for South Pacific and I am only starting to realize the magnitude of work I have to put into it. I met with the choreographer today and the dancers for the musical. I felt like such a beginner dancer around them, which I am, but by the end of the practice I felt better. I was getting most of the steps. I was thankful for my last semester class of ballet because the instructor was using all the dance terms so quickly it was good that I was fairly familiar. Tonights rehearsal was mostly singing and stage blocking (movement) so it went smoothly. I just have to work on memorizing my lines now. I might need Daniel to help me. He will have it memorized by the end too. He has such a good memory.

I will write more later but I leave you with some fun pictures from the luau. They had crafts games before the actual food was served or the hula dancers started dancing. Here is Daniel after he threw a native Hawaiian hunting spear.


Here is Katy making a braided anklet with fresh plumeria. It looked really nice on but she wouldn't let me take any pictures of her alone so I do not have her modeling it for me.











Here is a great shot of the sunset. Katy snapped this as they were pulling the pig out of the ground. At luaus they roast a whole pig underground in a hole filled with heated rocks, and burning coconut and ti leaves. When they pulled the pig out it looked disgusting, but it tasted wonderful. I know we did not eat the same pig we watched being pulled out of the ground but it was cooked the same way. It was yummy!

Katy got a little burnt from her days in the sun. She looks so tan. I was in the sun just as much yet I am still white Maryn...ah well. At least no sunburn in this photo.

Hope you all have a wonderful rest of the week! Aloha!

1 Comments:

  • At 8/25/2005 06:34:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Had just about given up on an entry. We really look forward to them so we know what you both are into. The pictures are always a bonus. Sounds like wondeful times during Katie's visit.

    So glad that you took ballet that last semester, as well. Maybe later you should look into dance lessons through Jr. College or something.

    I watched "Sense & Sensibility" last evening and enjoyed it so much. Missed watching it with you, my little J.A. mutual admirer. So good...

    Keep the entries coming and know that we love you both! XXOO
    Momma

     

Post a Comment

<< Home