The Goods in Hawaii

Thursday, December 01, 2005

Thanksgiving and Visitor from Maryland

Here I am after another long hiatus. The week Daniel had off of work was a great week of catching up with some Christmas shopping, planning and general preparing for the month of December. We ended up bring Christmas to our house sooner than December. Daniel bought me some official snorkel gear. I say official because the flippers, and boots can be used for diving as well; it is not the flimsy stuff for quick snorkeling dips. We also found a DVD player with speakers at the Navy Exchange for an excellent price. (We were looking because the one I had brought to HI gave up on us on Friday night.) We ended up rearranging the living area so the speakers could be put around the room. Daniel had fun setting that up and we love the furniture setting. Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday went by all too quickly, but Thursday rolled up nice and slow.

Thanksgiving Day we had two couples, Phil & Amanda, and Jerry & Michele, and James, a single Marine, over for dinner around 2 pm. I tackled the turkey, dressing and veggies and the other guests brought over some excellent sides. I was happy with the turkey results. Daniel and I made a good team. I cooked, he carved. Apparently Rhiannon was content with the day because she took a nice long nap in the papasan chair. She is so cute!

Friday morning we tackled the crazy crowds for an mp3 player, washer and dryer and a Christmas tree. Daniel had an mp3 player stolen from him on the way over to Iraq so he had been wanting to get another one. We figured the prices were hard to beat on the day after Thanksgiving so we trekked to Circuit City in Pearl City. Sears was having some suh-weet sales on their appliances , and we had to turn in the loaner W&D from base so it was time to get our own. We ended up driving home with a new mp3 player, a delivery plan for the W&D and a great Christmas tree.

We got home and after a nap because of the 4:30 am morning we decorated the tree and Daniel played with the new mp3 player. As you can see in the pic, my fins are under the tree. The mp3 box is too. :)

Saturday, we picked up my dear friend Ashley from the airport. I met her at Univ. of MD at The Life, our church. We spent the evening catching up and chatting Daniels ears off. Sunday, we went to the early service at church then made our way to the Dole Plantation and the north shore for some big waves. Ashley had spent about 4 days on Oahu when she was docked here during a Summer Semester on a ship with several other students (didn't intend to have that alliteration). They stopped at countries all over the Pacific: Japan, New Zealand, Australia and Fiji. I am sure I missed some places. Basically, when she was here she stayed on the Waikiki side so we wanted to show her more of the island. We hit the plantation and filled ourselves with pineapple and mango ice cream. It had big pineapple chunks on the bottom. Yum Yum!


The waves on the north shore were gigantic. Unfortunately, we didn't get any good pictures while we were out and about, but I am sure I will be able to post some later because we are planning another trip up there before Daniel leaves. The drive on the north side is just so beautiful with amazing mountains on your right and the deep blue ocean on your left. It is truly awe-inspiring.

Monday, we planned to go snorkeling but due to very little parking in the place we wanted to go we ended up just catching some sun on a beach on the south east corner of the island. We came home, got cleaned up, did a little souvenir shopping for Ash, made dinner at home and had a quiet evening.

Tuesday, Ashley only wanted one thing, to see the sunset unobstructed. So after babysitting for Rhiannon in the morning while Amanda went to an appointment, we made our way to the west side of the island. I had never spent a large amount of time on that side of Oahu, but it was so worth it. The sunset we saw was amazing. It brought Ashley and I to worship the Lord. Pictures can not give it justice, but here is a taste of the beauty God displays every minute.

We left the beach to meet Daniel for dinner in Waikiki. After dinner, we took Ash to the airport for a late flight. She made it back safely on Wednesday afternoon, Maryland time.

I just met up with another friend from Maryland today. Joe, a guy I also knew from The Life at UMD, is doing ministry out here on Oahu at the University of Hawaii campus. We have been playing phone tag the past few months, but we finally met today for a quick lunch. He showed me around the campus and I met the people he works with at the Baptist Student Dorm. He is really enjoying being out here and working with the students.

Daniel is on his way home and I have to get dinner started. I am starving and I am sure he will be too.

Take Care!

3 Comments:

  • At 12/02/2005 06:02:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mimi..
    mm...you look so good! Everything is beautiful there, your tree and your house, amazing! I can only hope to have that nice of a living arrangement EVER! I have missed your blog, I couldn't get on it for the longest, it just wouldn't come up. I am definitely getting into the Christmas spirit as well..one week and then home. I am so glad you have been able to enjoy yourself, it seems you really make the most of your time. I know you can't wait for mom and dad to get there, they can't either. I only wish I were coming! Love you!

     
  • At 12/02/2005 06:57:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am sooo jealous of that Dole pineapple and ice cream. Mmmmmm....

    Joe is still alive? I was beginning to wonder...

     
  • At 12/05/2005 11:48:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your tree and house looks so pretty and those sunset pictures are calender quality. I can't wait to see it all in person. We are frantically trying to get all things done before the flight your way.
    Love & hugs,
    Mom G.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home