The Goods in Hawaii

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Independence Day Weekend In K-bay

Well, Daniel is back to work after a long weekend and an amazing Fourth of July. I just got back from the library. I love it there, like a kid in a candy shop. I really know I am Lauren's sister when I visit.
On Independence Day we were invited to a barbecue at a young couple's house that Daniel just met. Daniel works with the husband and he invited us over last week. We went over and I met his wife, who turns out graduated from UMD in '03, her family is in MD, and she is the middle sister of three girls. We were very excited to find out our similarities, and we definitly formed a new friendship. I was welcomed by the military wives, since that is what the party conisisted of, military families. I even exchanged numbers with one wife. Daniel and I were blessed by the day and left feeling very welcome and appreciative.
After the barbecue we went to the last evening of Bayfest, a 4 day festival on base celebrating Independence Day. (On Sunday we saw Brad Paisley in concert. It was great!) We watched the main band, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and then watched an outstanding fireworks display. It goes into my top 3 4th of July memories, and I love the holiday. It was nice to finally celebrate it with Daniel. The evening was perfect.
We slept in the next day because Daniel did not have to go into work. He hates sleeping in too late because he feels unproductive. But why have days off if you aren't going to sleep a little more than on regular work days!? I like sleeping in.
Later that day, we went to a change-of-command ceremony for Daniel's last CO. It reminded me again of what I married into. I am so proud of what Daniel is a part of and who he is. There were tear-jerker stories from the battle of Fallujah, where Daniel's battalion had fought most recently, as well as uplifting memories shared by officers. I enjoyed the ceremony and look forward to others in the future. I am thankful to be a part of this life with Daniel.
Well, I am still in awe of this place and I hope I never take the beauty for granted. It is such an amazing reminder of how God blesses us through His creation.
Many blessings to all and please keep in touch!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home